Monday, July 21, 2008

Training Camp Week 1 Summary

The first week of training camp is now complete.  Overall, it went quite well.  While we had more pool practices and did more mileage then I do on a regular basis I thought it went by quite quickly and my body was able to handle the extra demands placed on it.  I think the main reason I was able to physically and mentally get through last week was having adequate recovery.  Since being at training camp I have gotten way more sleep then I normally do, at least 8 hours every night plus a mandatory 1 hour quiet time in the afternoon which for me equates to another hour of sleep.  We have been training from 11am-1pm and 7:30-9pm so the meals have been a little bit screwy.  We eat our big dinner meal at 2pm and have a light lunch type meal at 9:30pm.  I think that this will actually help us going into China as finals most nights won't be over until after 9pm so we will be eating late there too and will already be in the habit of eating late.  We had Sunday off which I spent doing a little bit of shopping and had dinner down on the harbour front.  It was nice to have a day away from the pool and to think about and talk about something other than swimming.  When you spend 24/7 doing nothing but hanging out with swimmers and being at a pool, it can get to be a bit much so having a day away can really help to recharge your batteries.
So today is the first day of the second week of training and I am just about to head to the pool.  I hope to be able to keep the high quality training going as well as continue to get adequate rest.

No comments: