Thursday, July 3, 2008

Breathing

Today it's raining again and for some reason the rain makes me think of writing on this blog. This week training has been going pretty well and I have not had any real issues with my breathing. Over the past few weeks I have had several doctors appointments and tests to see if I have asthma (which my doctor unofficially diagnosed about a year and a bit ago), how bad it is and if it is effected by exercise. The answers so far are yes I have asthma and yes it is effected quite a bit by exercise. Having these official test results will be very important going into Beijing because they verify that I do have breathing issues and I need to be taking my inhalers. I am a little worried about the air quality in China and how it will affect my performance so I am going to take all the precautions I can such as having my puffers on me at all times and taking them whenever I feel the need and before my races, having a small air purifier for my bedroom, wearing a personal air purifier around my neck and I am even considering wearing a mask. It may seem like overkill but if I want to swim fast in China I need to be proactive regarding the air quality and my ability to breath.

No comments: